Ok, not exactly, but… you can get the same effect using Microsoft Virtual PC with XP mode and run IE6 and IE7 as "virtual applications". You'll need to be running Windows 7 Ultimate and the free Windows Virtual PC and Windows XP Mode.
The screen shot above (click to enlarge) shows the 7 major browsers running on my Windows 7 Ultimate RTM desktop, including IE6, IE7 and IE8! Pretty cool when you need to do compatibility testing. I've also pinned all 7 browsers on the start menu.
Want to know how I did it? Let's get started.
- As stated above, you'll need to be running Windows 7 Ultimate for this to work (Ultimate is required to run virtual applications).
- Install the free Microsoft Virtual PC from Microsoft.com.
- Then download and install XP mode (from the same web page). XP mode is actually a free version on Windows XP SP3 pre-installed onto a VHD.
- Now launch Windows XP Mode (click Start, type windows xp mode and press enter).
- Right click on the Start button and select Explore All Users.
- Double click on the Programs icon
- Drag the Internet Explorer icon from the desktop into the folder. This will create a shortcut to IE6. Windows 7 will Auto Publish any links create in All Users to the host system. Click Start, All Programs, Windows Virtual PC, Windows XP Mode Applications to see the link to IE6 that you just created.
- Next we'll Create a second XP virtual machine and install IE7.
- Click Start, All Programs, Windows Virtual PC, and Windows Virtual PC again.
- This will open up the Virtual Machines folder.
- Next click on Create Virtual Machine.
- Give your new XP virtual machine a name and click Next.
- Chose a RAM size and click Next (I left mine at 512k).
- Select Create with Advanced Options and click Next.
- For the VHD type, select Differencing
- You can leave the next screen at it's defaults and click Next.
- Now we need to specify the location of the base Windows XP image differencing disk (VHD). It should be installed at C:\Program Files\Windows XP Mode\Windows XP Mode base.vhd
- Click Create and you are all set. It should appear back in the Virtual Machines folder view.
- Double click on the new virtual machine. It will take several minutes and you will see the Windows XP startup screen, then some setup screens. Follow along with first time the setup process. The whole setup takes 5-10 minutes.
- Eventually you will be at the desktop with XP fully installed.
- Now let's install the Integration Features. This first time you do, you will be asked to enter your credentials. Enter Administrator as the username and enter the password you selected during XP setup. Remember to check Remember my credentials.
- On the new virtual machine, launch IE6 and go to the IE7 download page on Microsoft.com and install IE7.
- You will probably be asked to reboot the virtual machine.
- After the reboot, run Windows Update on the virtual XP machine. This will install any critical updates need for IE7 to run.
- Just like we did before for IE6, right click on the Start button and select Explore All Users.
- Double click on the Programs icon
- Drag the Internet Explorer icon from the desktop into the folder. This will create a shortcut to IE7. If it worked, you should see this:
You now have IE8 (running natively on Windows 7 Ultimate), IE7 (running in the virtual machine we created) and IE6 (running in the default virtual machine) running and you can enjoy single machine browsing and testing on all major browsers!
- Adam Saunders said on August 22, 2009 at 5:44 PM ...
Very long winded when you could just use the IE Collection.
- Yih said on May 11, 2010 at 3:48 PM ...
@ Adam, you're sorely mistaken. IE7 cannot be installed through the IE Collection on Win7 machines.
- Alex Sherwin said on August 13, 2010 at 10:28 AM ...
This works as advertised, but it seems to be impossible to pass command arguments to the XP Mode applications from Windows 7.
For myself, I want to launch the XP Mode IE7 from an IDE for debugging purposes, but it seems impossible to do so.
You can create shortcuts with arguments in the XM Mode VM itself, and publish those, but that is not dynamic.
- hong_hai_long said on November 10, 2010 at 10:22 PM ...
Thanks for a sweet article,very informative.. we will sure be back for more.
It is wonderful right here. good research. I've been searched this kind of information for quite a while. thanks
- Analytics said on November 12, 2010 at 3:48 AM ...
- hong_hai_long said on November 12, 2010 at 10:15 PM ...
Thanks for a sweet article,very informative.. we will sure be back for more.It is wonderful right here. good research. I've been searched this kind of information for quite a while. thanks
Rosetta Stone Language
- hong_hai_long said on November 14, 2010 at 9:02 PM ...
Absolutely brilliant post guys, been following your blog for 3 days now and i should say i am starting to like your post. and now how do i subscribe to your blog?
windows activation key
- andrej said on January 25, 2011 at 11:34 AM ...
great post. Everything has worked out so far.
However, I cannot access local urls via the virtual pcs browser. Internet access works however.
I have mapped certain domains to my local drive (via the iis and the hosts file).
Do you of any way how I can reach these via the virtual pcs?
- Anil Rajanala said on May 19, 2011 at 1:14 AM ...
Wow that was odd. I just wrote an very long comment but after I clicked submit my comment didn’t appear. Grrrr… well I’m not writing all that over again. Anyways, just wanted to say wonderful blog!
- ebookoffline said on October 10, 2011 at 11:42 AM ...
Iam usimg IETester , it is a free application that allows developers to test their
web pages on versions of IE
you can download it from here
- shaman said on October 27, 2011 at 6:01 PM ...
Tried EI collection on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, NONE of it worked.
I had IE9 already.
- shalini said on December 9, 2011 at 1:56 AM ...
Its really Very useful post.. I hope you will continue your same best work and we will get more informative post which can helpful to us. Thanks for this!!!
domain and hosting services
- Adol said on January 2, 2012 at 7:33 AM ...
Good work. I used to be checking constantly this blog and I am inspired! Very useful information specially the last part. Domain in India
- mamatha said on February 1, 2012 at 2:49 AM ...
Really its very informative for me,thanks for sharing this wonderful post.
- maruthi said on July 2, 2012 at 7:47 AM ...
I love learning from others and this article shows me how much I still have to learn. Thanks for this wonderful post.
- \ said on July 27, 2012 at 2:07 AM ...
I love you for this. So useful; cheers.
- AsimNicol said on August 14, 2012 at 4:42 AM ...
The possibility to virtualize IE6 on Windows 7 is very attractive, but unfortunatelly it seems to be against the license. Looking forward to hear what answer to you guys Microsoft will have.compare medicine
- Hack Facebook said on July 5, 2013 at 2:58 AM ...
The next time I read a blog, Hopefully it doesn't disappoint me as much as this particular one. After all, Yes, it was my choice to read through, but I really thought you would have something interesting to talk about. All I hear is a bunch of crying about something that you can fix if you weren't too busy looking for attention. Visit www.windows8activator.net to download windows 8 crack, keygen and activator. Free download and learn how to activate your windows 8 www.windows8activator.net.
- devil jiang said on April 23, 2014 at 4:29 AM ...
This is just one reason why replica handbags a museum or collector might have fossil replicas instead hermes outlet of real fossils. Researchers and museums can use replicas to share rare fendi outlet fossils or fill in missing gaps from skeletons. Real dinosaur fossils can also be too heavy to be mounted in a museum, making lightweight replicas rolex submariner replica a more practical choice.
- Babe katy said on October 1, 2014 at 12:29 PM ...
Thank you to get a nice content, very informative.. all of us will certainly sure always be again pertaining to a lot more.
It can be great right here. excellent study. I have been explored these kinds of information for a long time. appreciate it.
- papa young said on March 28, 2015 at 4:11 AM ...
cheap ray ban sunglasses clearance hypocritical nodded, as if ray ban sunglasses clarance outlet he was really serious about listening to this song. cheap ray ban sunglasses clearance cheap ray ban sunglasses clearance for example, she sings is simply good listening. I also heard the sounds of nature. cheap ray ban sunglasses clearance Miss ray ban sunglasses clarance outlet freezing rain as the existence of God is simply too fond of her, and that the first day the wind sale very
- dongdong said on March 3, 2016 at 10:52 PM ...
kate spade outlet
canada goose jackets
louis vuitton outlet
jordan 3 white cenment
ture religion outlet
michael kors handbags
louboutin pas cher
nike roshe runs
ray ban outlet
jordan pas cher
supra for sale
michael kors outlet
ghd hair straighteners
ugg boots sale
louis vuitton outlet
michael kors handbags
cheap oakley sunglasses
jeremy scott shoes
ralph lauren pas cher